SC Thrive leads South Carolinians to stability by providing innovative and efficient access to quality of life resources. Youth Mental Health First Aid is designed to teach parents, family members, caregivers, teachers, school staff, peers, neighbors, health and human services workers, and other caring citizens how to help an adolescent (age 12-18) who is experiencing a mental health or addiction challenge, or is in crisis. This course is designed primarily for adults who regularly interact with young people, introducing common mental health challenges for youth, reviews typical adolescent development, and teaches a 5-step action plan for how to help young people in both crisis and non-crisis situations.
Topics covered include:
- Substance Use
- Disorders in which psychosis may occur
- Disruptive Behavior Disorders (including ADHD)
- Eating Disorders
After this training, the Learner will be able to:
- Identify potential risk factors and warning signs for a range of mental health problems, including depression, anxiety/trauma, psychosis and psychotic disorders, eating disorders, substance use disorders and self-injury.
- Demonstrate a 5-step action plan encompassing the skills, resources and knowledge to assess the situation, to select and implement appropriate interventions, and to help the individual in crisis connect with appropriate professional care.
- Identify the prevalence of various mental health disorders in the U.S. and the need for reduced stigma in their communities.
- Identify appropriate professional, peer, social and self-help resources available to help someone with a mental health problem treat and manage the problem and achieve recovery.
After completion, each participant will be certified as a Mental Health First Aider.
Location: South Carolina State Library, 1500 Senate St, Columbia, SC 29201
Cost: $10 registration fee - morning refreshments and lunch provided.
Please note: each attendee must have their own email address.
Related LibGuide: Youth Services by Rebecca Antill
- Thursday, May 18, 2017
- 9:00AM - 4:00PM
- South Carolina State Library
- Piedmont Room
- Youth Services